Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Conversations with Steph

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 127     
     
     We spent the afternoon with Steph. Had a lovely visit. Got to go to Cafe Bonjour while Tobin was sleeping. I love when Matt is off. I get to escape for a little. Steph and I had lattes, and crepes, and little sweet treats, while it stormed away outside. I wasn't too scared of the storm...ahem.    
     
     My favorite part of spending the afternoon with Steph was this: talking. Just talking. Women need to talk. Sometimes, I say to Matt, "hey, let's talk." And he's like, "okay, what do you want to talk about." Which is a typical man answer. Women understand that the only response to the statement, "hey, let's talk," is "okay."    
     
     One of the more interesting topics we talked about today was fear. It's always comforting to know that other people deal with fear. Irrational fears. Like me. It's comforting to know that I am not the only one who lives with it. There. Constantly. Just...there. Nagging and gnawing. As someone who has dealt with fear on a daily basis for my entire existence, I feel that I am somewhat able to give this advice to other sufferers of fear: Sometimes, you have to look fear in the face, and stare it down. Sometimes, all you can do, is leap.      
     
     “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” -Eleanor Roosevelt.      
     
     Thankful for Steph. Thankful for all the conversation. For all the laughter. Thankful for talks about fear. It makes me feel less alone in my fight against it. Thankful for time well spent with someone I love.




No comments:

Post a Comment