Friday, May 17, 2013

Six truths.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 136

   Yeah. It's another, The Office post. Maybe I'm still mourning the loss of one of my favorites shows of all time. But really, more than that, I was moved by the little nuggets of truth. The words of wisdom from some of my favorite characters.

     Whenever I watch a show that I love, or I read a book that I love, I fall in love with the characters. I always have. I see myself in them. I learn from them. And the words of some of my favorite characters struck a chord with me, last night. I knew then that I needed to write these words down, so I would never forget them. They are simple truths. Simple, yet moving, and profound.

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ole days, before you've actually left them." -Andy Bernard
(Truth #1--The good ole days are now. Right now, where you're at. Live in the present. Remember your past, and learn from your past, plan for your future, but be happy and joyful for the place you are in right now.)

"Imagine going back, and watching a tape of your life. You could see yourself change, and make mistakes, and grow up. You could watch yourself fall in love, you could watch yourself become a husband. Become a father. You guys gave that to me, and that's an amazing gift." -Jim Halpert
(Truth #2--Take pictures. Lots of pictures. Take video. Lots of video. Record the precious moments in life. The special moments, and the regular moments. I believe life is made up of mostly regular moments. But, what we make of those regular moments...that's what makes us who we are.)

"It all seems so very arbitrary...I applied for a job at this company, because they were hiring. I took a desk at the back, because it was empty, but no matter how you get there, or where you end up, human beings have this miraculous gift to make that place home." -Creed Bratton
(Truth #3--Home. One of my most favorite words. I love they way it feels in your mouth as you say it. I love what it means. I love how it feels. And how amazingly true--We take a house, and make it a home. Humans do that. We don't live in shelters. We don't just seek protection from the elements. We seek and desire and build homes. Making a house is one thing. Making a home is another thing entirely.)

"I'm happy this was all filmed, so I can remember everyone, and what we did. I worked for a paper company all these years, and I never wrote anything down." -Phyllis Vance
(Truth #4--Write things down. Record your life. Keep a journal. Start a blog. Write in a diary every night. Whatever. But, write. Record. Don't let life pass you by without recording any of it. Life is too special to let it go without documenting it.)

"I sold paper at this company for 12 years. My job was to speak to clients, on the phone about quantities, and types of copier paper. Even if I didn't love every minute of it, everything I have, I owe to this job. This stupid, wonderful, boring, amazing job." -Jim Halpert

(Truth #5--Even if you don't absolutely love your job, or your current place in life, everywhere you've been in life, be that places you've lived, things you've done, jobs you've worked...all of that...makes you who you are. Everything you are is because of where you've been.)

"I thought it was weird when you picked us to make a documentary. But, all and all, I think a paper company like Dunder Mifflin was a great subject for a documentary. There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?" -Pam Halpert
(Truth #6--Beauty in ordinary things. Yes. That is the point. Exactly. Find the beauty hidden in ordinary things. Chances are, you won't have to look very far. It's there. It's always there.)

     Thankful for, The Office. Thankful for the things I've learned from it. Thankful that something so simple, and seemingly trivial, like a TV show, can mean something. And teach something. Thankful tonight for these simple truths. I won't forget them.














No comments:

Post a Comment