Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It's a love/hate thing...

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 140

     Patty and I have been training for a 5K. We have to run at night, after the kids go to bed. And on days when Matt and AJ both happen to be working, we have to put the kids in the double stroller, and run while pushing over what has to be close to 100 pounds of kid and stroller.

     I ran track in high school. And I was pretty good. Now, I feel like Gumby running down the road. But, we run anyways. The last thing on earth I want to do at the end of the day is run. Because when I get home, I still have to clean up all the toys, clean the kitchen, write a blog post, do laundry, wash diapers, and clean any other thing that needs cleaning before I can go to bed. But, we run anyways. Sometimes, when I'm walking out my front door to meet Patty, I want to scream. Because I'm tired, and I feel weak, and I know that I have lots waiting for me when I get back home, and because my knees hurt, and my shins hurt, and my feet hurt, and it's dark out, and muggy, and I have a whole workout in front of me. But, we run anyways.

     And I am always, always, so happy, and so proud, and I feel so accomplished when I return home. It's like I leave all that -stuff- on the road behind me. The to-do list, the aches and pains, the excuses, the bad attitude. I return home feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. And nothing has changed. I still have a ton of things to do before I can go to bed. But, the pavement has a way of working things out like nothing else can. It's definitely a love/hate relationship. I hate running. And I love running.

     Thankful for a good run. I felt so weak tonight, so I laid down after I put my kids to bed. And I so badly wanted to continue laying there when Patty called to tell me she was on her way. But, I didn't. And I'm thankful I didn't. I'm proud I didn't. Thankful for the love/hate relationship. Thankful for the road. And the pavement. Thankful for that feeling you get after a great run. The feeling of simultaneous exhaustion and accomplishment.







   

No comments:

Post a Comment