Saturday, June 8, 2013

He's got a good head on his shoulders.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 158

     Shane came to visit today. Adelyn and Tobin love when Uncle Shane comes to see them. He's much like my mom and dad in that he likes to make them laugh, and treat them to sweet things. We went for ice cream at Pickle Bob's. Uncle Shane's treat. How sweet is he? Tobin enjoyed a few licks of my vanilla cone, and Adelyn made a nice mess of her chocolate cone. Which is a sign of an ice cream cone well enjoyed.

     As we were talking at dinner, I kept thinking the same thing. Shane has a good head on his shoulders. He's so smart. I'm always learning something new from him. And I'm so proud of the amazing man he has turned out to be. I'm proud to be his sister. I'm thankful he's my brother. Sometimes, I wish I could go back in time to when he was a baby. One of my favorite things of all time is the smell of Shane when he was a kid. Whenever he would play hard, and get really sweaty, I would smell his hair. I have no idea why, but it smelled so good. Sweet, even. I would hold him, and smell him. I remember him asking me why I liked the smell of his sweaty hair, and I never had an explanation. I just loved it.

     Thankful for Shane. Thankful for the fond memories I have of him as a little kid. Thankful for things like the smell of sweat. Smells have a way of bringing me back to people, and places, and things. And bringing me back to sweet moments of years gone by.



No comments:

Post a Comment