Saturday, June 15, 2013

Matt lied to me today.

Project 365 * 2 -- Day 165

     Usually, I'd say it's a pretty bad thing if your spouse is lying to you. But, today, Matt's lie meant, he loves me. Here's what happened:

     We had to celebrate Father's Day today. Matt won't be home tomorrow. So, after I went running this morning, Tobin and I took a trip to the store to get some goodies to make a special breakfast for Matt. French toast and sausage. I was looking for a nice brioche, or even some crusty french bread. But, there was none to be found. And since, I wasn't going to buy white bread, I had to settle for ezekial bread. Ezekial bread is a staple in our house. I love it. It's made from legumes, and contains no flour at all. It is super healthy, and hearty, and it tastes delicious. However, ezekial bread is not Matt's favorite. He'll eat it, but he's not super happy to do so.

     Fast forward to our breakfast. Time was just ticking and ticking, and the kids were starving, and it took longer than expected at the store. So, instead of browning the sausage in a pan on the stove, I baked it in the oven instead. And when I set down the plate of sausage with no brown marks on it, and a plate of ezekial bread french toast, I could see the slight hint of "eh" in Matt's eyes. Only because we've been together so long, and I can tell when he's not 100% thrilled with something. I kept asking him, "do you like it?" "Does it taste okay?" And his answer: "yeah, I like it...it's good!" Which was a lie.

     Adelyn and I quite enjoyed our Father's Day breakfast. Matt, however, did not. He didn't even finish one entire slice of french toast. But his, "yeah, I like it...it's good," lie meant a lot to me. Because it's a certain type of lie. It's a lie that's said to protect the other person from your real thoughts. Thoughts like, "this is my Father's Day breakfast?"

     I'm so thankful for my Matt. The amazing father of my children. I couldn't have hoped for anyone better. The way he cares for us, the way he provides for us, the way he pours everything he is and has into our family, the way he loves us, makes me so beyond proud to be his. And I know our children feel the same way. Even if they can't express it yet. It was a joy to celebrate Father's Day with my love today.






















No comments:

Post a Comment